Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Finally, The Rock Comes Back To....Where the Fuck Am I Again?

From the Bottom of the Astray
Parts 72 & 73
Written By Special Guest Writer
Phil McCracken
My one shot at stardom. Matt has graciously allowed me to blog in his absence. I guess all of his talk about going on vacation finally made him insane. Last I heard, he took his girl away to some secluded place, aka. Atlanta.
He left me to write because he knows I write some compelling stuff. He's a little rough on the language, but enough about him. Onto my stiff, er, stuff.
My topic of the day is going to be...How do I fill up this entry? I know...Gay marriage. Allow me to say, I am not opposed to marriage. I am not opposed to gay marriage either. My only issue is that I will never be married.
With the above being stated for the record, onto the real discussion. I have been wrestling with the idea of gay marriage for quite some time. (Note to reader: That just happens to be the most odd euphemism I have ever used, seeing as how many people define wrestling to be, in itself, gay, but, I digress.) I feel as though we should not be discussing gay marriage while we are still trying to stick our hand up the rear end of countless other countries; it has come to some bad light so I will give it the attention it so badly deserves.
If two people who love each other can't be recognized by the state that they live in as married, isn't that compromising the "sanctity of marriage" worse than denying them the right to be committed to one another through legal recourse? In many states, it is referred to as a common law marriage when two people live together for longer than seven years, Thank god I kicked out those roommates a few months ago, so in some way, I'm sure this may be one of those "loopholes" I hear so much about in American law.
Why not just legalize it?
There are many sides to this issue.
The religious people see it as forcing them to accept homosexual relationships as a part of human nature. Forbid they actually admit to respect the existence of something that has been along for longer than there has been organized religion, or that they actually practise what they preach.
The progressive thinkers see it as another way to make people feel more welcome. If they are allowed to marry, maybe we can turn this boat around, as I'm sure they see it. Gay marriage would mean thousands of votes for anyone who endorses it, yet no politician has decided that this is a good idea because they may lose that all important religious base. That is just a shame.
Ultimately, when there is a US constitutional amendment banning it (as there are already state constitutional amendments that do,) this will only strengthen the christian rights resolve. They smell the fear of people, people who are scared and going broke, and if there is anything worse than a shark smelling the blood of a child's scabbed knee in the ocean, it's a christian trying to extol his beliefs on an entire nation.
The pope says he loves and believes in god in every one of his speeches, yet no one listens or has listened much to the Vatican since that whole little inaction over this little thing called the Holocaust back in WWII.
Yet, when the American president says he loves and believes in god, everyone's ears perk up a bit, and they seem more attentive.
Maybe that's because he's talking about the christian god, not the Hindu god, or the Muslim god, or even the Jewish one, because we ultimately know what we're talking about here. Every single christian has, in fact, met god and knows exactly what he wants from each of them.
I've gotten too far away from the subject.
Gay marriage should be legalized, just for the simple fact that the constitution guarantees equal treatment for all persons born in the United States of America.
Period.
Finally, until the separation of church and state is dissolved and Christianity is officially recognized as THE LAW, christians, shouldn't you be more worried about how the whole catholic church molestation of children scandal pans out before you start your next crusade? Pull the leash on bush before he starts the crusades all over again. You really don't want your kids and grandkids fighting over god again, muslims attacking you in your churches, or people trying to learn how to keep more planes in the air, or did you miss that part in World History?
Expertly put. If you enjoyed his rants and ravings, shoot an e-mail to hellofahat@yahoo.com. Or look him up on Yahoo! He is a regular in some of the government and politics, usually one around 3pm our time, 9pm his.
Phil is a periodic friend of mine. We cross paths for a good cause when it is warranted. And fuckity fuck fuck. Because he managed to get away with that dissertation without a single swear. I'm impressed.
Many thanks to you, the reader.
Special Thanks to Phil, my extraterrestrial friend from overseas. "May the sun always be at your back."
Much love.

No comments: